Monday 5 December 2016

Review: Skipping Christmas

 John Grisham
 Skipping Christmas

First (big) snow of the year is a good excuse to stay home and read a christmas book.
Especially when you love the movie adaptation.
My mom is a big Grisham fan, so I borrowed this from her last time I went to visit.

If you've seen the movie "Christmas with the Kranks", with Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis, then you've basically read the book. To be honest, I think we got more from the movie.

But I digress...

When their only daughter decides to join the Peace Corps, and will be a gone until next Christmas, Luther Krank decides to do some math.

The Kranks spent $6, 100 on Christmas last year. Since they will be alone this year, why not take half of that and go on a 10-day cruise instead? As long as Luther agrees to still donate to the local charities, Nora is in.

They will skip Christmas.

Of course, living in a community that is Christmas-crazy, word gets out fast.
And the neighbours are not impressed.
No tree? but the money supports the local boy scouts.
No Frosty on the roof? but the whole street does it.
No Christmas eve party? but what will everyone do if there is no infamous Krank Christmas Eve bash.

Then, their daughter calls Christmas Eve morning with a surprise: She's engaged!
And she is bringing home her fiance.
Tonight.

A very cute story that will have you giggling your way through this short novel - I personally read it in one sitting while hubby was at my feet netflix bingeing some show I didn't pay attention to.

I've heard a mix of things about Grisham's writing, and I get them all now. This book was kind of monotone - nothing really dramatic happened, but it was difficult to get the movie out of my head. It was less funny than the movie, that's for sure.  If you like feel good, silly, fluffy, christmas stories then definitely give it a go. Just try to get Tim Allen out of your head; he may be a great Santa, but he's not the Luther Krank that's in this book.







No comments:

Post a Comment