Friday 23 December 2016

Review: A Beautiful Funeral (Maddox Brothers)

 Jamie McGuire
 A Beautiful Funeral


I struggle to even write this review without bawling my eyes out all over again. It took me about 2 hours to finish, and I cried the rest of the day. Hubby was worried something was wrong with me, and I do not promise to not cry while I write this.

Everything that has been building up comes to head in this stunning conclusion (although I use that term loosely since the author has stated this isn't the end...). The secrets that each brother and wife have kept from one another for the last 10 years is finally unveiled and you will be at a loss for words the whole time.

Each chapter is from someone else's perspective, which is wonderful. For a book so intricate, it's quite small though. There are moments and conversations where I wish we got the other side's POV on it (like when Abby calls out Cami. My goodness).

but the word "beautiful" in the title is not strong enough to describe what this book is.

The Maddox family is under attack.
Thomas and Travis will do anything to keep their family safe.
Unfortunately, it means keeping them in oblivion, burning them, making sacrifices ... and trying to find some redemption in the disaster they have created.

The family has grown substantially over the years, with Jim now having 10 grandkids. We see how the couples have evolved over time, how relationships have grown, how they have been strained but most of all, we see that this family is one that no one should mess with. Ever.

In a plot to rip the Maddox family apart, the most powerful people in Vegas will come to realize that they've messed with the wrong family.

and here I am, crying again.

This book will rip at your soul as we read how the characters we've fallen in love with over time will be pushed to the brink of everything they can handle, and still hold on to the bonds of family.


No comments:

Post a Comment