Wednesday 14 December 2016

Review: The fault in our stars

 John Green
 The Fault in Our Stars


This is one of those few books that I watched the movie to first (I KNOW! don't give me that look) but I knew it was going to be sad and at the time, I was too lazy to read it - don't ask me what I was doing... I should be smacked for this one.

Anyways, I bawled my eyes out on the movie - duh -  and when I went to find my hubby for a hug he thought my grandpa had died because I was such a mess and his response was "Why else would you be crying so much?" to which I started crying more with "IT WAS SO SAD!" and he rolled his eyes but hugged me anyways.

but I digress...


The book was better, of course. Now, I don't know all the medical stuff so forgive me ...

Hazel Grace Lancaster is dying of thyroid cancer. It has spread into her lungs as well so she struggles to breathe at any given time.  She's 16.   Her parents are very concerned with the side effects of cancer. Such as depression. (even though it's more of a side effect of dying, really) so they try and encourage her to get out and enjoy the time she has.

One day, she decides to go to the support group at the local church. This is where she meets a boy named Isaac. Isaac lost an eye to a type of eye cancer.
The next time she goes, Issac brings a friend for support... as now Isaac is losing his second eye.

This friend is Augustus Waters.

Augustus Waters is NEC for over a year now (No Evidence of Cancer) He lost part of his leg to a type of bone cancer.   How to describe Augustus Waters is like trying to describe a colour to someone. (Not Isaac obviously*.

*That's not insensitive. Well, it is. but, it goes with the book. just read it okay?!)  <- totally typed on accident! No pun, promise.

Anyways, Gus used to be the basketball star. He's tall and gorgeous and witty and smart and all this awesomeness rolled into a 17yr old with 1.5 legs.

Augustus and Hazel fall in love.
They become inseparable, of sorts, but not in a corny, bella-edward way. More of a Romeo and Juliet way...

So there is this book that Hazel is in love with. She rereads it all the time. She gets Gus in love with it. and he uses it as a way to be utterly romantic with her until the end of time. (Honestly, John Green is a genius - he created a book within a book, and fans want this book too! crazy smart!) It's called 'An Imperial Affliction' and there are quotes and characters that are used throughout to explain Hazel and Gus' feelings at any given moment. It's all very sweet.  I'm clearly not doing very well with explaining this part but just trust me.

Anyways, John Green basically stabs us fans right in the heart over and over. You are drowning in your tears halfway through the book, and you pretty much don't stop until a few hours after you're finished with it. (If that). In something I read in just a few hours, he (re)introduced me to these 2 beautiful people who are dealt a very shitty hand in life and still find an infinity together. They fall in love so hard, and so perfectly .... sigh, it's just tragically beautiful. The timing, the how, the what, the where, and everything else going on with Isaac and Hazel's parents and the author from AIA will have you looking for your own infinity in whatever way you can get it.

Some infinities may be smaller than others, but it doesn't make them any less beautiful.
or perfect.

Give it a few years in between crying jags and you'll want to revisit Hazel and Gus in their infinity and see the beauty in their world.



No comments:

Post a Comment