Sunday 4 December 2016

Review: Holding up the Universe

 Jennifer Niven
 Holding up the Universe


This was not picked up because I heard about it, or because I read her other books (although now I'm going to be), but more because I saw a lot of people were reading it, and I was intrigued by the title.

Well.

Let me tell you that it was read it one sitting, on a Saturday night - because that's how I party - and I only stopped to switch laundry around and let the dog outside... and even those I was late on because I was so enthralled by this story I did not want to put it down for a second.

In this story we are shown two perspectives:  Libby and Jack.

Libby is well known around town for one of the worst moments of her life: the day she had to be rescued from her own home. because she was to fat to get out the door on her own.  She has lost a lot of the weight, and is now trying to start again. To start again in a town that knows her by one of her worst moments. She is still going to try.

Jack is ... well, he's kind of the Jake Ryan of the world. (Sixteen Candles. Anyone? OMG if you do not know this reference, please please please go watch this movie.)  He's on-again/off-again with the popular girl, He's well known and liked by pretty much everyone, He's got a good group of friends (but they are kind of jerks...) Jack has a secret though. and his secret is one that gets him into trouble.

A stupid game with his friends ends up making these two unlikely of people come together. and what blossoms between with them is more magical than anything Castiel can do.  ps. the supernatural references are ridiculously amazing; who doesn't dream that they are dating the 3 of them?

This book will hit you in very feel you possibly have. You can hard-core relate to both characters, all the way along. and I love*love*love when authors give us different perspectives.

This is one of those books that will change your life.
It will change your outlook on life.

It had me wanting to go back in time to change some of the things I've done to the Libbys in my life.  It will have you wanting to be a better person. No one is perfect, of course, but we all know that there are things we do not know about a person; their experiences, their struggles, their home life, their personal stories, making that Golden Rule something we all need to think about before acting.

Yet at the same time, it really makes you think of those little moments that change your life. or another person's life. Sometimes they are good moments. Sometimes they are bad moments. Sometimes the moments are filled with awkwardness. Sometimes you have all the swagger because you are a bad ass mo-fo.

Whatever you are, and whoever you are, know this: you are you. you are allowed to be that you.

and you are wanted.



No comments:

Post a Comment