Tuesday 2 May 2017

Review: There Will be Lies

 There Will be Lies 
 Nick Lake 

I DO NOT PROMISE NO SPOILERS BECAUSE THIS BOOK MADE ME MAD! yet I kinda liked it.
I know, I know. There are 
plenty of warnings and hidden colours! 

I actually looked it up on GoodReads because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only crazy one. 


spoiler: I'm not.


So, I read about this book from another blog and the secret of the character is what grabbed me at first.


Not that it has anything to do with the story, but still.


A lot of people were confused as to why the dialogue was written the way it was - where I got it quicker than the average bear because I live and work in that community - and I knew already. 
and her mom's behavior makes TOTAL sense. Shelby isn't the only one who is overprotected because of this reason (it actually made me angry and I saw a friend of mine who is also *SPOILER Deaf* and I ranted to him because this is ridiculous).


So throughout the novel, Shelby is drifting in between two worlds. Our world, yes, look around, the world you are currently in - I hope it's the same as mine, otherwise, well, then don't look around and this makes no sense - and what is known as “The Dreaming” where she is The Maiden and has been called there to kill The Crone and save The Child. This is all with the help of the handy, dandy (yet weirdly mysterious) Coyote. There are some elks and an eagle, and some wolves. None of it makes sense but it's based on some Apache history that is not explained very well IMO.The actual story line (minus The Dreaming because what in the name of all that is delicious and calorie free knows what that was about?) was decent. I've read similar twists before but I did not see these ones coming. It keeps you on your toes. 
or hoofs, depending what chapter you're on.
(except no, because it's weird and you may fall asleep) 



*SPOILERS the rest of the review ! 


*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

IT ALSO MAKES NO SENSE THAT SHE GOES BETWEEN BEING HEARING AND BEING DEAF THROUGHOUT THE BOOK.

what even is this nonsense?! I mean, i get that its in her head or something but...


*blinks* 

WHAT!?
Just, no. 


I loved the style of writing actually, it was refreshing to see something not so... formal. Since all the conversation is happening inside Shelby's head, essentially, her sarcasm and wit is on point. 

I especially loved the mocking of the interpreter since I happen to be one. Fantastic! 

I wonder who or what gave Lake the inspiration or insight to writing this kind of character though. Though non-hearing eyes is a rare thing to see. 

Especially from someone who's not d\Deaf\HoH themselves... - that I could find? 



and ESPECIALLY in a fiction novel. 
So, there's that.
But I wouldn't show this to a community member...

   



No comments:

Post a Comment