Friday 5 May 2017

Review: Afterworlds -

 Afterworlds
 Scott Westerfield

This was a unique story, and a 2-in-1 to boot.

Darcy sat down one month and wrote a whole book, called "Afterworlds". She sent it off to an agent, who sent it off to a publisher, and now we are following Darcy on her way to becoming a published author.

Every other chapter, we also get to read "Afterworlds" - which started off as my kind of story, but turns into a murder mystery and I personally lost interest. I kept at it though.

Darcy's journey is an interesting one - she moves to New York, she meets other YA "debs" and some seasoned authors, gets advice on her writing, gets advice on her life. Finds her way with the help of her younger sister who acts as a kind of conscience (and accountant).
The focus of the book becomes the ending of "Afterworlds" as per the editing notes her publisher has sent her.

For this particular booklover, my books of late have been short, so this book (especially the 2-in-1 factor) felt like it dragged for me. The story was interesting but the middle couldn't hold me.
Doesn't help that hardcovers weigh a million and 10 pounds and I had to have a pillows on my lap to hold up the book.

If you are into writing your own work, and want to see someone else live through the journey of becoming published (with advice along the way), it definitely helps for inspiration. As a story on its own, I wasn't overly impressed.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment