Monday 8 May 2017

Review: The Beauty of Darkness (Remnant Chronicles 3) -

 The Beauty of Darkness
 The Remnant Chronicles - Book 3
 Mary E. Pearson


In the final segment of The Remnant Chronicles, we continue to follow Lia, Kaden and Rafe (with a little bit of Pauline) on their mission to stop the Komizar.

I do not want to get too much into story description because no one likes spoilers so bear with me.

While Rafe intends to bring Lia back to Dalbrek, Lia's plans have always been to travel back to Morrighan. She knows she must follow the destiny set out by her name, and protect her home from the Komizar.

When Rafe becomes King, he can no longer be at Lia's side every moment of the day, and they must part for a while in order to follow in their respectful duties. (Well, as much as both of them can).

This action packed and stunning tale comes to gripping blows as all the players come to learn who's side they are on, and who they are willing to lay down their life for.

Pearson's writing never fails for a second in this breathtaking finale. This love triangle nonsense didn't go my way for a while, which annoyed me, but she wraps up the story in a perfect way so no complaints. The multi-POV adds so much to the story, even if Pauline's was a waste in my opinion. I'd rather have gotten one of the other boys, or the Komizar, or Lia's mother...  but the ending was so beautifully tragic that it had me craving more which is always the sign of a good book.


Overall, I liked this series but I didn't love it. I only picked it up because I am looking for an older work of Pearson and this one kept popping up as a "recommended for you" instead. Which in turn, I recommend it, if you like mid-fantasy and strong female leads, but it hit and missed for me in all the wrong spots.

Regardless, I am still #TeamRafe !


   


No comments:

Post a Comment