Monday 1 August 2016

Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Parts one and two)
[J.K Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne]

Special Rehearsal Edition Script

*Spoilers* 




Welcome to platform 9 3/4. It has been 19 years since the Battle of Hogwarts.


I was at the midnight release for this book, of course. I have been a #potterhead since high school, but this was the first midnight release I've been to (for an HP book at least).

I was maybe 15th in line. Got my book - with my fancy lil tote bag (posted below) - went and found my husband who was in the "parents" section, and home we went. I got comfy, and settled in for the long haul. Which ended up being just over 2 hours. I then continued to cry for another hour.

What most people seem to not understand is that this is a script.
It says it on the cover "Rehearsal script"! so the comments of "why is it not in novel form?" makes me shake my head... but I digress.

The plot itself, in a nutshell, is that Harry's second son, Albus, makes unlikely friends with Draco's son Scorpius. After misunderstanding a situation, the two decide they can change history and decide to go back in time.  The butterfly effect happens and the two try to figure out how to put their world back in order.  Someone has other plans and decides that if going back a few years won't do the trick, let's go back further.

To be honest, I loved it. All of it. Cried from page 2, on and off, right to the end.

and my favourite line?

"Scorpius: No, I meant it as a nice thing, you smell like a mixture of fresh flowers and fresh...bread.
Rose: Albus, I'm here, okay? If you need me.
Scoprius: I mean, nice bread, good bread, bread... what's wrong with bread?
*Rose walks away, shaking her head* Rose: What's wrong with bread? " [pg51]

too cute for words, if you ask me.

Of course, the title makes you curious the whole time. Who exactly is the cursed child? There are rumors that Scorpius is actually the son of He-who-shall-not-be-named. Which gives him a very bad reputation. Us fans have always discussed whether or not Voldy was able to have a child or not. Dumbledore always said he was unable to feel love, but what about lust? or physical attraction? I can see tumblr having fun with this one in the upcoming months.

But then there's Albus, who feels out of sorts with his life, with being the son of Harry Potter, with himself...  11 is a difficult age no matter if you're a wizard, a muggle, fey or hobgoblin.

These boys do have an adventure fit for the wizarding world. Harry would be proud (if he wasn't so busy worrying. He really does have James, Sirius and Lupin in him). The story has a mix of the original, with Ginny explaining "all you have to do is walk straight at the wall between platforms nine and ten" (pg 8) - which if you didn't hear Julie Walter's voice something is siriusly ron with you - and a whole new mix of characters. While they aren't flushed out as much as the fans would like, nor do we get a description of what they look like, what they're wearing etc, it's not difficult to imagine tiny replicas of their parents. There are pictures of the actors from the play in London floating around to help with a visual for those who want one. We do get stage directions, which are interesting and they do help give the reader small cues on what is going on. If you've seen the movies, and read the books, you have the imagination to make the story come to life for yourself.

The story twists and turns in ways you wouldn't believe. With the loss of our beloved Allan Rickman this past year, seeing his character of Snape "cameo" in the play hits you right in the feels too. A lot of "what if" questions are answered, even if more are brought up. The ending is a beautiful, harry potter-styled ending.

Well done Miss Rowling and team, Well done.
I raise my wand to you  in awe. /*

Now, can the play please come to Toronto? ;)



*tote bag with my purchase!  I love it!






No comments:

Post a Comment