Saturday 27 August 2016

Review - Cinder (Lunar #1)


 Cinder
Marissa Meyer
Lunar Chronicles - Book 1


Imagine Cinderella as a cyborg.
and living in Japan.

Meyer does an amazing job at bringing the classic story we all know (and some love) to life in a new and fascinating way.

Earthlings have been infected by a plague brought to the planet by the Lunar species who live on the moon.

Cinder was in a tragic car accident as a child. She was the only survivor.
She is then taken in by a Garan, a man with a wife and two daughters, but he dies.
The wife decides to keep Cinder on as a ward, and as a slave of sorts - instead of a maid, she is made to be the sole breadwinner as a mechanic in the local market.

(Do you see the similarities yet?)

One day, the royal prince comes looking for the famous mechanic "Cinder". Low and behold, he is shocked when he finds out Cinder is a girl. He leaves his dear android with her to be fixed, as she holds valuable information.
While out that night looking for scrap android parts with one of her step-sisters, Peony, and the family's android-maid, Iko, her sister contracts the plague.

Now everyone is curious as to why Cinder didn't. 

I won't give away anymore, as it gets complicated as the story goes on. but I will say that there is a ball, and a shoe (of sorts) left behind for the prince. It's all very cute. 

The writing is amazing, the characters are stunning, the chemistry between Cinder and her Prince Kai is so sweet... I just loved everything about it. I read it in one sitting.  I'd be the first to admit that I avoid Cinderella based stories, but after all the good things I heard about this series, I relented and gave it a shot. So happy I did and I kick myself for not reading it sooner.  The backstories, the lies, the secrets, the possibilities and plot twists that Meyer weaves will have you anxiously waiting to turn the pages! 



No comments:

Post a Comment