Friday 19 August 2016

Review: The Nest

  #indigoreviews

The Nest
Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

4 siblings and their inheritance

Bea - Single, a writer. Still grieving over the loss of her ex.
Melody - The mother. The wife. The one struggling to stay afloat.
Jack - The practical one. The one who's trying to hide his mistakes until he can fix them.
Leo - The troublemaker. The one this story revolves around.

Leo's accident sends him to rehab. When he is released, the siblings get together to discuss The Nest. This has been their nickname for their inheritance for as long as they can remember. Bea, Melody and Jack have all been depending on this money coming in. It has been a long time coming.

Finally, the time is near ... only to find out that their mother has used up quiet a bit of it to help out Leo. What's left to be divided between the siblings is not nearly what they were expecting. It's not nearly enough for college tuition, paying off mortgages, paying off loans...

Leo promises he'll come up with something. A plan. To get The Nest back up to snuff in some way. Just give him some time. He's trying to better his life.. he just needs some time.

He's their brother. They'll give him a chance. Just one more.


This was an interesting story. It began with the accident, which draws you in. It keeps your interest as it goes through the different perspectives of all the characters involved, but it dies off somewhere in the middle all the way to the end.

Sometimes, we got a random character's POV- which I felt was unnecessary. As I got more into the story, I got more confused, and bored at times.  There are a lot of players drawn into the Plumb's family web. While I liked the main 4 siblings, I would've liked more from them and more of an "after" story than the additional chapters from the extra characters along the way.

The ending was quite disappointing for me. I get that it was just in true Leo fashion to do what happened.... but I guess I just like closure. Felt like there was a chapter missing. I was waiting for it all to come together. Instead I got "The End".

3/5 stars only. The writing was decent, and the characters were interesting, but I feel like there was so much potential left untapped with their stories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment