Tuesday 24 April 2018

Discussion: The Hate U Give


The Hate U Give
Angie Thomas



I just finished reading THUG, and while I wasn't too sure what I was getting into (besides the main idea that it was a reaction to the blacklivesmatter movement) I dived in with both an open mind and an open heart.

I loved every second of it.

Rough to read, and utterly heartbreaking, but it was real. 

Thomas does an excellent job at just being honest. There's no "writing for the masses" here. It's a real story, told from the POV of a young lady who isn't quite sure where she fits in the world all the time.

Death is a one of those things that has no limits. It's unpredictable. But the how, the who... those factors are what this story is about. The aftermath. The "shoot now, ask questions later" (unless you have authority. then don't worry about questions)

It's a story that is going to stick in the minds of anyone who reads it.

For me, personally, it reminded me of being back in high school and having two kids being killed when I was in grade 9. They were being chased by the police and hit a tree. I don't remember a lot of the details, but I remember my friends and the school reacting to this event. I didn't know the guys personally, but the school came together.


If you want a book that will have you thinking about who you are, about what you say, about how you react and why.. then pick this one up (or put it to the top of your TBR) You will not regret it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment