Sunday 29 October 2017

My first time with #preptober


I made the crazy decision back in the summer to do NaNoWriMo for the first time. ever.

Why? I have no idea.
I have no writer friends (unless you count the people I talk to on twitter)
and I never considered myself a "writer" even though I used to write when I was in high school...

I don't actually think I can do 50, 000 words in a month
but I'm willing to give it a shot.

My personal goal is more 30k but I am still aiming for 50k.

So, since this is my first time doing this, over September and October I was doing some research into what exactly dong NaNo means...

and I learned that October is "preptober" since it's a month of prep.

Welcome to youtube where I found countless videos of tips and tricks on how to stay organized throughout the month of November, which is when NaNoWriMo actually happens.

Plus, via twitter I followed some tags that helped me see what was going on in the writing world as well.

I am a mix of both a planner and a pantser - so, I am a "plantser" ; Meaning, I do prep but not overly and I "fly by the seat of my pants" for most of the story.

I know how I want to start, I know a few plot points, and I know my end goal.

I've been more focused on world building and the character descriptions more so than storyline while it's still "prep time" since that's just how my brain works, and so far so good. My notes are all over the place though. It will be at least a duology.

My word tracker is on the wall though, as is my monthly schedule because work is still going nuts and if I can see that I have work, I am hoping that I don't procrastinate too much.

I keep coming back to the same type of story when I think of new ideas so I am hoping that by getting this idea out of my head that I can move on to other story ideas.


For those interested, my NaNo name is Skrzy - it's a nickname based on my maiden name. Feel free to come find me and buddy up :) I could use some friends! 



  • The story is fantasy, but it starts in our world and ends up in a distant one. The world we travel to will be elemental and will have a heavy emphasis on the 4 elements and the astrological signs (means I am doing a lot of research on these - well, mainly the ones my characters fall under) 
  • I am not putting a love triangle in it. 
  • My main character is different than everyone else, but I am not calling it a disability because I don't see it as that (and neither does he. Those around him do and he will deal with that) 
  • Protag - Ravenclaw / His best friend - Slytherin / His love interest - Hufflepuff 

So this should be fun! 


I am freaking out but hubby knows whatsup and he promised to let me do my thing. His exact words were "So... I guess I'll see you in December then. Between reading, work and now writing, when will I ever see you?" but I promised to take my book into the living room to hang.  Plus, break times mean doggy walks so I stretch. 



I do wish I drank my coffee black because then I could steal the coffee machine for my office ... however! I did get a fancy wall sticker (that was posted on twitter) and a new coffee mug that I am sure will end up in a post eventually so no complaints

yet.


I am anxious to start. I keep wanting to but nooo, 2 more days!
Part of me feels like I am going to crash half way through and I am trying to come up with a motivational list to keep me going.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them :)


Good luck to everyone participating; we got this!



Pinterest-found inspo for my protag's best friend: 

(pinterest needs sub-boards!)

  



*OG post: https://iquoter.deviantart.com/art/alfa-429179496
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/376191375117632610/






No comments:

Post a Comment