Tuesday 18 July 2017

Review: "Classics" Part 1


A goal for 2017 was to read more "classics" just because.
Understand more references in pop culture.
be a more well-rounded reader.
and I've had most of these on my shelves for -years- so forcing myself to tackle my TBR
*Each book cover shown is the copy I read for reference!


Heidi
Johanna Spyri


I've always loved the Shirley Temple movie version, and this book kept mostly to the movie, which kept me happy.

A story about a little orphan girl who goes to live with her grandpa in the Swiss Alps. Her grandpa, unfortunately, is not liked by the community he lives in and they are concerned about the influence he will have on this innocent little girl.
When he aunt, the one who initially dropped her off at her grandfathers, comes back to take her away to be a playmate for a crippled little girl, Heidi is unhappy and tries everything in her power to get back to her grandfather.

This little girl, while annoying at times, is adorable. She has a way with words and a unique perspective on life. The way she helps everyone and anyone she comes in contact with is beautiful. Highly recommended!
 
 



The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald

I picked this one up back in February thinking it would be an easy read as I was preparing for a business trip.
Little did I know how boring this one is! I don't understand how people love it, but to each their own!
It was the writing, mostly that annoyed me.
but of course, the writing impacts the story and I didn't even finish this.

We follow along a guy who seems to have no purpose in life, and then he meets this guy Gatsby and no one is sure where he's from but he seems to know everyone.

That is honestly all I remember. Sad, isn't it?
Something about a girl named Daisy... and all I know from pop-culture references is that this Gatsby guy has been pinning for her for years.


 



 The Scarlet Letter
Nathaniel Hawthorne


The version I have is pretty, but the language was difficult to get through, so this one was a big skim but I got the jist of it. (and thank you to Mr. Turner of John Adams for teaching me about this one!)

Hester Prynne lives in a town of purists. When she is accused of adultery, with a child of said affair, she is sentenced to live with a stitch of a red "A" on her person.

We follow Hester as she makes her life on the outskirts of town regardless of her "A" while raising her daughter. The men that are in her life make for some interesting characters and as we go through the story, we find out what really happened to Hester.

This one I really enjoyed but I did have to google some clarification (just because of the old English) on some plot points.

  





The Sword in the Stone 
T. H White 

I love anything King Arthur. 
I found this a few months ago at a garage sale and was very excited. It didn't take me long to read.

We meet Wart, a young pupil who lives at the hands of Sir Ector and his son, Kay. (Think Cinderella without the family connections).
One day, Wart meets Merlin. Merlin is a wizard, and vows to teach Wart about life through his magic.

This goes on for a few years until the King dies. To find the next King, there mysteriously appears a sword stuck in an anvil. The anvil reads 'to whom pulls out this sword, goes the crown'.
Many try to pull it out but none prevail so there is a tournament held, in which the winner will be crowned.
When Kay forgets his sword at the tournament, Wart goes looking for one... 

Loved this story. We see more of the background, which I liked. More lessons from Merlin to Wart - similar to the Disney movie version (which is a favourite of mine as well)






Frankenstein
Mary Shelley

This story was not what I was expecting.
Not that I have seen the movies (but I have seen clips/spoofs) because I am a big 'fraidy cat
but this did not live up to my standards.
Some of it was the language - some of it was the story.
and I had to force myself to finish it.

This book is ... hearsay. letters. Not a lot of direct story.
I kept waiting for more, and I didn't get it.
Skimmed a lot.

When Frankenstein decides to make himself a monster, he doesn't realize what consequences he will face. He doesn't realize what personality this monster will have. When this monster starts killing, he doesn't know what to do.
There is a love story in there though, but it is hard to see.

I love that society calls the monster 'Frankenstein' because that's wrong. I don't remember the monster having a name (but that may have been lost in the skimming) - or just this translation.

Mary Shelley has an interesting life though, and if you like "twisted" go read up about her.






That is it for now!
I am in the middle of 2 other classics, and have a bunch more starring me down so part 2 will happen later this year.

Have you read any of these? Do I need to give any a second chance, with a different version? Are there movies that are better *shock and horror*  Are there any classics I should add to my list?
Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment