Monday 18 July 2016

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Ransom Riggs


While people say you eat with your eyes, this is true for books too. At first glance, I did not want to pick this one up. I am a wimp, I'll admit it - no shame here - but there were enough friends telling me how amazing this story is that I had to check it out myself.
Happy to report, they were right.

I could not put it down, and it was read in one sitting on a Friday night (thank goodness because I stayed up late watching Disney movies to give me happy thoughts before going to sleep!). The author draws you in with his unique characters, and mysterious opening.

With the assistance of real photos Riggs has collected over time, and borrowed from friends, he creates a wonderful and alluring world of those who live with what are called "particularities". These range, of course, based off the photos. We have an invisible boy, a girl who can create fire in her hands, a girl who defies gravity... and so many more.

Miss Peregrine is one of the caretakers. She happens to run the home where Abe, the grandfather of our main character Jacob, lived as a boy.  When Jacob returns to the home to find out the truth about all the stories Abe told him, he learns more about himself that he ever thought possible.

A wonderful, creepy and magical story unfolds before your eyes. While this particular reader skipped over most of the photos (I am still having nightmares with the ones I did look at), the world Riggs creates is one I cannot wait to return too.

5/5 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment