Saturday 9 December 2017

Review: Alex, Approximately


 Alex Approximately
 Jenn Bennett


As part of SimonTeen's #25daysofchristmas, I got to breeze through this one in a day and I absolutely loved it, so thank you to them!

I knew that it was a twist on the "You've got mail" storyline and I dived right in.

It opens with "@Mink" and "@Alex" talking online about the movies they love and the upcoming film festival in Alex's town in fancy California. What Mink, aka Bailey, doesn't tell him is that she is moving out to Cali to live her with her father while her mother deals with her second divorce.

She begins her summer job at a local museum - though I use that term loosely - and meets a fun group of people. When she begins to fall for frustratingly cute Porter, she pulls back from Alex. She still hasn't told him she is even in the same town as him, trying to see if she can scope him out without him knowing.

However, everything always comes out eventually and apparently, Alex and Porter are one and the same... well, approximately.



As someone whos been online for most of her life, though not by this screen name, I used to talk to a lot of different people online and if they lived in the same town - or even province - I tended to ignore (I did meet my husband online though so that didn't last to long haha)  so a lot of this story was easy to relate to. The writing was amazing and I fell in love with everyone as it's hard not to. There's laughter, there's sadness, there's some scary dude with a gun ... there's love, which is the main point. Though I think in 2017 a lot of like to hide behind the screen and while this story isn't new (i.e the hidden identity behind a phone or computer) this version is the best ones I've read in a long time.

The second I was done I wanted to read it all over again!

It makes me want to visit the beaches of Cali more so though, which is just rude considering there's snow outside right now.

It's now on the to-buy list, to-recommend (to everyone) list, and the reread worthy list so if you haven't read it yet, what are you doing with you life, approximately?



No comments:

Post a Comment