Thursday 22 September 2016

Review: Fairest (Lunar Chronicles 4)

 Fairest
Marissa Meyer
Lunar Chronicles 4


A short, side story that explains how Queen Levana came to be.
I have one word: wow.

Read it in one sitting, I was glued to my seat! Levana pulls at your heart strings ( I know, right!) but something I never thought possible as I spent the first 3 books absolutely hating her.

From childhood, and being a younger sister, watching her older sister be the Queen, from growing up and falling in love, to becoming the Queen Regent, and then the Queen herself.

When Levana falls in love with a Royal Guard, she feels fate is on her side when his wife dies in childbirth. Using her power, unintentionally, to force him to marry her she feels that her life is coming together. If only she could have her own heir.

While her sister is being a lame queen, she is also off having numerous affairs that produces who is to be Princess Selene.

Understanding why Levana needs a glamor, why she sets her eyes on Earth, how the disease (and antidote) was made, Wolf's destiny ... it all just came together so nicely. I was so vocal reading this - screaming in horror and exclamations of realizations, and the tears, oh man!

A beautiful story. You want to hate her through Cinder, Scarlet and Cress' eyes ... but through her eyes, her life was very tragic.

Yes, she is a horrible person who does horrible things...

but she did not deserve that childhood. Making me have feels toward a villain? High five Ms. Meyer.



No comments:

Post a Comment